Thursday, June 29, 2017

2017 YNIA Tucson Trip

As my second YNIA trip comes to a close here in Tucson, Arizona, I'm able to take time to reflect on what I've learned over the past week. This trip has been full of emotions, happy and joyful, all of which contributed to our understanding of what it means to truly serve a community. My group spent the past week painting the outside of a religious education building located on the outskirts of the Yaqui Tribe's reservation. The work was arduous and painstaking, and seemed to never end. The painting was messy and required meticulous brush strokes to give the building a clean aesthetic. But the effort we put in is dwarfed by the efforts of those we served this trip. The Yaqui Tribe has a long history of the challenges that were placed before them as they tried to keep the land they lived on safe for themselves and their loved ones. However, by being a resilient people and enduring through the challenges that faced them, the Yaqui people are now thriving. But they still are gracious and kind, and thank their ancestors for everything they have. I think that working on this reservation has changed me tremendously. I have learned that through hard work, loyalty, and solidarity with those who surround you, anything is possible. Kindness and love binds people together so they can work towards a common goal. It is thanks to the people at my work site like Veronica and Francisco, who helped us along our journey, that I have truly learned what it means to be a moral person. In closing, I'd like to thank all the chaperones and staff who made this trip to Tucson possible. Until next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment