Wednesday, June 28, 2017

final thoughts



hey everyone! my name is Maddy Green and this is my fourth and final trip with YNIA. It is with a heavy heart that I am nearly halfway done with the week as over the past four years I have made amazing friends, created lasting memories and been shaped as a person. I will be attending the University of Rhode Island in the fall, and I hope to continue mission work in college, and I thank YNIA for continuing to open my eyes to the world around me. Before I talk for ages, I would like to mention that I can already tell this year in particular will always hold a special place in my heart. We are on the completely different side of the country and are dealing with issues that are very prevalent in today's political climate. The experiences I have made and the people I have met will forever alter the way that I go forth in my life. I came here with certain stereotypes, judgements that have been fed to me ( whether it be through media or others opinions ) and I can say that all of those thoughts have vanished. As we have completed our third day at Casa Alita's, I continue to grow more and more. We have continued to strengthen the bond with the 5 month year old twin's, Mary and John, and two year old Holga, we continued to paint the mural that we started in the beginning of the week. While it continues to be extremely hot with the dry heat of over 100 degrees, something us people from Massachusetts aren't used to, the work is well worth it. I've watched my friends create beautiful artwork, I've become close to the group we are traveling with, and I have learned more about the area. While that is all great and meaningful and something I hold dear, nothing compares to the extreme change in mindset in regards to issues such as immigrants and healthcare. Today we had the special opportunity as told to us by a sister at Casa Alitas to go and listen to Sister Simone Campbell, the leader of Nun on a Bus, an activist religious group who travels around the country and discusses further ways to diminish issues that the world is facing.

Today's topic was fitting as it was in regards to healthcare and the new bill that may be passed. The speaker mentioned how the new bill would be "spirituality of death" rather than the "spirituality of life" and especially for those of us that are people of faith, that everyone has a fair chance. No matter the age, economic status, background, healthcare is crucial. It's unspeakable that healthcare is not a right anymore it is becoming a privilege ( and an expensive one at that. ) Political views aside, for me personally, I connected the two subjects that I have been surrounded with, which was immigrants and healthcare. The two for me represented the treatment of everyone as equal and fair. We are all God's children and wherever or not someone came from a different country, is a different religion, color, gender, they all should have the right to be treated with the respect and dignity that every human deserves. God made each and every person with a purpose. There are no mistakes and to treat people as if they are, or as if they are less because they may have a lower economic status or a different background is unfathomable and downright disgusting. The speaker today was very moving and tied in all of the subjects I've been exposed to. As some of my peers have spoken about in the blogs earlier this week, the people we have met have all touched us in previous ways, and like some have mentioned, are amazing people, and my life has been enriched due to me meeting them. I will go forth with a strong hand in the treatment of all humans as equal, and will continue to try and bring back that mentality home. The blog is a great tool to attempt to showcase the major happenings that are occurring this week, both mentally and spiritually during this week in Tucson. I hope that everyone takes into consideration the posts and take to heart what each student has to say.



- Maddy Green

1 comment:

  1. So well written Maddy... I loved hearing about all your experiences and how your perceptions have changed over this past week. Thank you for sharing your insights and for your service with YNIA over the past 4 years. You are an amazing young lady. URI is so lucky to be getting you. Good Luck this coming year!
    Love, Mrs. Puda

    ReplyDelete