Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sunday to Wednesday

Hi everyone, my name is Riley Bartolini and I am going into my senior year at Northbridge High School. This is my third trip and it is by far the hottest one with temperatures reaching up to 114! This week I am doing indirect service meaning I will not be able to see the outcome of what I do, only be apart of the process. I am working with a group called World Care and it has been great.

World Care is a non-profit organization. They take old technology like computers and salvage what they can. The parts that are unsalvageable are recycled. With the technology that they can save they rebuild commuters and create programs for schools and children to use. They are apart of tools for schools and this only costs the buyers $20. World Care also packages books and school useful items and sends them out to schools here in the US and overseas to Africa or Chia or south to Mexico. They also are partnered with hospitals and send out medical supplies to hospitals here in the US or overseas to countries where disasters hit- like hurricanes, tsunamis, or earthquakes.

On Monday my group and I went to an old ITT building. ITT was a college that was receiving government funding but lost that funding and the schools all shut down. I am not sure about the other ones but the one here in Tucson shut down so quickly that everything left behind (I even found Christmas cards that were written). We went through the classrooms and cleared out any stationary classroom supplies and computer/ technology parts. We had So Many keyboards and mice. While we were doing this, other people that work for World Care where taking doing the cubicle walls and tables and clearing out other things.

Yesterday we went to the actual quarters of World Care. For as much as they do they don't have much land but they make the most of it. We painted two walls and a bathroom. Everyone painted the two walls while myself and Belle painted the bathroom all day. The color we used on the walls and bathroom is blue. It is a nice color blue- it's light blue but not necessarily baby blue.

Today we did the touch ups to the painting, painted the door and the wood that goes around the door white. We all moved books onto a palette and also weighted books before putting the box on the palate. The heaviest box that was moved today was 111lbs.

I am not sure what the rest of the week has in store but I think we will be working on advertising and will be going back to ITT. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment