Sunday, June 25, 2017

Tucson: Day One

Hi guys, this is Hannah Fitzpatrick blogging. This upcoming fall, I'm going to be a senior at Holy Name Central Catholic High School. This is my first year participating in YNIA. I decided to join this mission trip that Saint Patrick's Parish is participating in because my best friend, Katherine Pingeton, invited me to join her and her parish. In preparation for this mission trip, through the multiple events and community services that YNIA participated in, I easily made new friends within the youth group and felt immediately at home. 

Today was the big day to travel to Tucson! We had to arrive at the Church for 2:45 am, which is really early for me. Despite waking up early, I was excited to travel because I love going on adventures on airplanes. The next thing I remember was boarding the plane and taking off. Immediately after take off, I conked for most of the flight. The part of the flight where I wasn't sleeping, I was watching "Top Chef." Once we touched-down in Phoenix and walked outside, I felt like I was in an oven...baking. It was so hot and the temperature did nothing but rise. We then got in our rental vans, and drove about two hours to Tucson. Before we arrived to our destination, we stopped at Wendy's for lunch. We were having such a good time just sitting and laughing because we were so overtired. Because of our loud laughter, a woman told our group that she was so happy to see us laughing because people are normally grumpy in such extreme heat. Once we got to our destination, we immediately met amazing people from Nebraska, who claim that a "bubbler" is a "water fountain" and that "soda" is "pop"…how strange. I learned more about the work site and the people I will be encountering tomorrow and am looking forward to it.

It's getting a little late and I should probably get to bed now. Also, thanks to Katherine for helping me with my spelling and writing this blog. 

Until next time, 
Hannah Fitzpatrick

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you all well! We are praying for you back here! Stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete