Sunday, June 25, 2017

Fourth and Final

Hello all! My name is Emily Chickinski and this is my fourth and final year participating in the YNIA mission trip. I am humbled and very gracious to have spent my last year here in Tucson. Right now I'm writing you from Pope Pius X Church in Tucson, Arizona.

Today went very well for the group. After all of us boarded a Foxy Travel bus at 3 in the morning, the day lasted very long without a lot of sleep, for some of us at least. I can tell you from personal experience that the 6 hour flight from Boston to Phoenix took a lot out of us. The 35 of us handled the lack of sleep very well and pushed through the semi-long drive from Phoenix to Tucson.

My group, consisting of Ray, Maryanne, Annemarie, Maddy, Hannah, Ilona and Katherine were so hungry that we stopped at Wendy's to enjoy the local cuisine. In Wendy's, all of us were overtired and in the weird stage where you cannot help but laugh at any and every possible thing. As we were leaving, a couple of elderly woman stopped me and said how happy they were to see all of us laughing at the top of our lungs and having such a good time. I proceeded to tell her it was just from exhaustion, but the ladies still thought it was great and wished us happy travels.

Today was a great first day in Tucson, minus the 114 degree heat. I'm hopeful for the start of tomorrow and entering our work sites. Make sure you keep checking back for daily entries from YNIA veterans and rookies!

-Emily Chickinski

No comments:

Post a Comment